Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My GSD start bleeding Monday. That's her third time in heat.

My GSD start bleeding...

My GSD start bleeding Monday. That's her third time in heat. When should I let her go with my neighbor dog?

1/20/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The optimum time for a successful mating { Ovulation } on the dog is usually accepted as being between day 11 and day 13, day one being the first show of blood. Professional breeders sometimes use a double mating protocol once on day 11 and once on day 13. Alternatively, you can just let them run together one day on either side of this period and let nature take its course.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Oh she is 2 and he is 4. Last time she play lady and sit on it. She didn't want him. Is that normal

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. This type of behaviour { Reluctance to accept the male dog } can be normal where a female dog is not at the correct point in her cycle and this indeed is an indication that this is the case. A minority of female dogs can ovulate at times other than between day 11 and day 13. so if you have previous problems your vet can run a test to predict the optimum day of mating in your dog's case.

Regards,

Dr Scott

ok thank you

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
will do
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian