Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

L 90 lb golden retriever is limping and appears to be in…

Customer Question
L 90 lb golden...

L 90 lb golden retriever is limping and appears to be in pain. I work and did not get home until the vet closed. she was having difficulty walking. I gave her one half tablet lortab generic for hydrocodon acetaminophen 5-325 m 365 one.half tablet. what was I thinking. she seems ok, sleeping, breathing ok. will she be ok. do i need to take her to emergency

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Golden Retriever. What is the Golden Retriever's name and age?

Abigail adams and she is 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abigail?

No. she she is basically in good health. has all of her shots. My husband died a little over a year ago. she went to work with me every day but I lost my job 6 weeks after he died. took another job this past may, she was a little depressed but have npr talk radio to keep her company and the 12 year old gal comes in to play with her each day. she was depressed but is much better with new routine. On weekends, she goes with me everywhere even to trustee meetings at church.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/20/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Not to worry. You didn't hurt her. That generic Lortab is dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight of the acetaminophen component or 630 mg of acetaminophen for Abigail...essentially two of your tablets. That would provide 10 mg of hydrocodone which is an underdose as Abigail could receive as much as 0.5 mg/lb (45 mg) safely. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

thank you so much. all i can say is this past year has been a journey and abigail adams has helped me get through it. she is the love of my life
for a review: I was so concerned and you responded very quickly. I would recommend you to anyone. Thank you.

You're quite welcome. Give Abigail a kiss for me. Thank you for your kind words.

will do

I appreciate it.