Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have two dogs, one is shih tzu weighing about 15 lbs., the…

Hi. I have...

Hi. I have two dogs, one is shih tzu weighing about 15 lbs., the other is a Wheaten terrier mix weighing about 40 lbs. I gave them their Trifexis, dosed by weight and the Wheaten spit his out in front of the shih tzu who immediately swallowed it, as well as his own pill. Is the shih at risk of overdose? Thank you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Shih Tzu will be able to digest that. What is the Shih Tzu's name and age?

Shih Tzu name is ***** ***** age is estimated to be over 6 years (shelter rescue and age estimated by them).

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shih?

Possible low grade heart murmur suspected during initial exam after we adopted him but not confirmed.

1/20/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Right, thank you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Good news! Basically, O.D. should be just fine, there are no particular measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on him. You see Trifexis has quite a high margin of safety in the dog so serious problems following overdose are very rare. In your dog's case, this should not be a fatal or very serious overdose but you may perhaps see lethargy and perhaps some vomiting over the next 24 hours, but many dogs will get away with this and show no symptoms. There is no particular antidote for Trifexis, just support as the drug works it's way out of his system.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your O.D.'s condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Right, thank you very much.

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian