Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What should I do if my golden retriever, 94 pounds, ate half…

What should I do...

What should I do if my golden retriever, 94 pounds, ate half of a chocolate cake that would serve 8-10 people plus the little 5 candles that were on it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Penelope ..she is 2 yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penelope?

She ate it around 2:30 in the afternoon and until now she seems fine

1/19/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

There's no need to do anything. The cocoa contained in that half of cake needs to exceed 1/16th of an ounce per pound of body weight for the theobromine in it to be toxic to Penelope (vomiting, agitation, tremors soon after ingestion). That would be equivalent to almost 6 ounces of cocoa which wouldn't be found in half of the cake. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but Penelope wasn't intoxicated. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. The little candles should pass through her GI tract unaided and uneventfully. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Hi Dr. Salkin..thank you for the help. She is a nice dog but lately having been awful regarding appetite..looking for food anywhere and the cake she ate directly from the middle of my dinner table. As we are changing her food because she developed some allergy few weeks ago, I am wondering if this could be the reason she is so famish lately.
I mean famished..

You're quite welcome. It's certainly possible that she's being underfed. Check the caloric content of her new food. A 94 lb neutered dog should be eating approximately 1,875 kcal daily. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Oh .right..Okay..I will do that. They send instructions how much to feed the dog in the package but it is a grain free food used for dogs that need weight loss, so maybe she needs more than they suggest.
Thank you again Dr. Salkin, you were of a great help for sure. ;o))

You're quite welcome. You can tell if she's being fed properly by weighing her regularly. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Okay..I will do that. Thank you and have a nice evening !

It's my pleasure. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian