Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a beigon when he goes outside even for a minute, He…

I have a beigon...

I have a beigon when he goes outside even for a minute, He doesn't even have to go to the bathroom he come in and smell soooooo bad for a few minutes, This happens anytime he goes outside, what would cause this and how do you stop it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A beigon fresay probably not spelled right

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is this new behavior?

No its not

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the's name and age?

Winston he is 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Winston?

No nothing going on with him other then the smell

1/20/2018
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I just signed in and noticed no other expert chose to answer your question and wanted to help.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Have you noticed any scooting on the floor?

Is he scared to be outside?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No scooting and he loves to go outside. We get his anal gland drains when groomed but the musky smell happens anyways. It’s every single time he goes outdoors. It lasts about five minutes after he is brought in

I asked about whether he was scared perhaps as when a dog is startled or scared they will often release fluid from the anal glands. I still suspect that is what is happening. Now if his anal glands are emptied regularly, the rectal area may allow them to drain a little easier. So if he has to stretch the back legs out to jump up the stairs, the pulling of the skin around the anal gland area is expressing the glands a little and thus the smell is release right before he comes inside. That is about the only thing I can think of that might be happening that would cause him to emit an odor for a short time after coming inside.

Now other things like fear can lead to a dog releasing their anal glands involuntarily but if it is happening every time, then that is not a likely cause since he would need to be scared every time he comes inside.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

jadedangel57

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner