Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He's picking up one paw when running around. It has a medium…

Customer Question
He's picking up one...

He's picking up one paw when running around. It has a medium size white spot on it. He's a 9 year old yorkie.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Melo

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/19/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I apologize no one has assisted you yet today. Are you able to provide a photo with the paperclip on your screen?

Thank you for the photos. Unfortunately it looks like he may have an abscess within the pad and should see your veterinarian to start antibiotics. In the meanwhile:
- Epsom salt soaks 10 minutes once to twice daily to draw out the infection +/- if there is a foreign body in there (not likely with the way he uses this foot)
- Limit activity
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo to reduce itch and inflammation twice daily x 10 minutes
- No licking! This will introduce oral bacteria and increase inflammation as well so a cone or e-collar is advised or even a sock until you can see your vet (a baby sock)
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch but also allow him to rest more comfortably until you can see your veterinarian for pain medications and antibiotics

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

I am online another 30 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am online another 10 minutes tonight

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian