Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5 year old German Shepherd was put on antibiotics for…

Customer Question
My 5 year old...

My 5 year old German Shepherd was put on antibiotics for colitis. Now he won't eat anything, and has puked a few times. I don't think he is able go poop either.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I am aware of. They said he had a lot of bad bacteria in his stomach, and gave him probiotics and metronidazole 500mg 1.5 tablets every 12 hours. We did this Sat through Wed in his food. Then he wouldn't eat them in his food, spit them out, so I put them down his throat. Now he is not eating anything and I have not seen a bowel movement either

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Bandit

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bandit?

When he first started not feeling good he had diarrhea, a lot, a lot. Then would get better then bad again. That's when he went in and we were told he had colitis. Then we were given the meds

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/19/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Are the probiotics and flagyl the only medications being given?

it is the only meds they gave me

It's not uncommon for us to see that metronidazole causing nausea due to how bitter it is. Since Bandit is not wanting to eat now, a recheck examination would be wise. If this is not possible, I can give you some steps to take at home. First, to help with nausea, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following the famotidine, having given it time to work, offer a small amount of a bland diet. To make a bland diet at home, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

Once Bandit has food on his stomach, then you can give the metronidazole. If successful you can continue these steps 2x daily. The bland diet will also help to alleviate the diarrhea from the colitis. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I can't get him to eat anything

Did my reply above come through on how to help restore his appetite?

it did. However he is just laying around very lethargic and won't eat anything at all

If he's very lethargic, he needs to be seen by your vet today. They may need to use injectable medications like cerenia to help address him not wanting to eat. If bloodwork was not run beforehand, it may be imperative now and I would ask your vet about running a pancreatic profile for good measure, as well. If you are able to pill him with the directions given above, the famotidine may help to restore his desire to eat and drink, which will permit you to keep giving the metronidazole. When in doubt or in time of great difficulty, see your vet. They will be able to assist when he's unwilling to take oral medications and, if needed, he can be boarded or hospitalized for a few days to permit the nurses and staff to care for his medication and feeding needs until he's stable and willing to do so on his own at home, under your care.

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing today?