Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 20 lb, she ate 3 grapes about 48-72hrs ago, and we…

I have a 20 lb...
I have a 20 lb ***** *****, she ate 3 grapes about 48-72hrs ago, and we just discovered that they are "toxic" to dogs. My question is if she has had no real symptoms up to this point is there still a need to worry? or is it best just to monitor her for any symptoms? She has had no vomiting, or diarrhea her appetite has remained unchanged as well as her drinking habits. She has been urinating and defecating as per her usual.
1/18/2018
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

The toxic effects of grapes or raisins, is damage to the kidneys. Unfortunately, this is a delayed reaction, and can take days or weeks to become apparent.

In a situation like this, it's too late to induce vomiting, so my suggestion is to see a veterinarian for blood tests to see where the kidney levels are - this will establish a "baseline". Then, if any signs of illness appear (reduced appetite, increased thirst, increased urination), those levels can be rechecked to see if the kidneys did in fact sustain any damage due to the ingestion of grapes.

In many cases, dogs won't have a problem from grapes - but the tricky part is that we just don't have any way of knowing which dogs are going to be affected and which dogs will be fine.

Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian