Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My cat has these warts on him Where it make his hair weird…

Customer Question
My cat has these...

My cat has these warts on him Where it make his hair weird and seems wet when i pet him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?

Nothing is wrong just the warts he has on his skin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?

Nowhere

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Around the body he has big warts with that his hair when you pet him seems wet because those wart are producing slime fluid

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Bandit is his name age is 56

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bandit?

He also always has this wart on his head we did surgery once to take out the wart on his head but it came back but overall right now on his body random warts show up and makes fluids where when you pet him his hair seems wet slimy cause of these warts

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 1 month ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience. I am sorry to hear that Bandit is experiencing this.

I have a few questions that will help me get you the best answer possible.

1)How long has Bandit had these skin lesions?

2)Do the areas seem to bother him?

3)Do you have a picture you could attach using the icon above?

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1. He had them for awhile on and off, when the wart appears his hair around the area starts to grow funny and seems slimy and when you pet him its bumpy.2. Not sure if it bothers him because he does not mind me to look at them.3. I have no picture i could attach at the moment.

If they are on his chin primarily (but also perhaps around his muzzle) then he has chin acne with a significant secondary bacterial infection. I can discuss further about causes and therapies, if you think this is it. Otherwise, it is not common for any masses to come/go when not infection-based; most infection based lesions like this are related to allergies or we do see some immune-mediated diseases that can look like this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing around the chin. Only around his body and if you pull the hair slightly hard around the area the big wart is around, the hair around it will tear easily. Also produced a slimy substance.

I am suspicious this is not really a wart but reflects either an atypical infection (bacterial, fungal) or an autoimmune disease. At home the best you can do is clean each area with hydrogen peroxide gently. There are not any "safe" over-the-counter topical medications I can safely recommend. This is something I must recommend you have him examined for. IF he was my patient I would start by doing a cytology evaluation in-hospital to see if there is an obvious bacterial/yeast infection and, if so, treat this. If not, then I would be more suspicious of an autoimmune disease and this would be a biopsy would be the fastest way to get an answer for what is going on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what can autoimmune disease cause

Autoimmune disease is a category of diseases that indicates the cat's immune system is attacking the skin such as pemphigus or lupus. It can look like what you describe. The only way to achieve diagnosis is a skin biopsy. Most of these are treatable but treatment is life-long.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Clearly what problem does my cat Bandit have, knowing the warts on his body and what i explained.

I am afraid I cannot answer without any images and without an exam. I'm going to opt out and see if any other expert might have an idea for you.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified