Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 8 year old micro teacup Pomeranian had her Tussigon

Customer Question
refilled today. When she was...
My 8 year old micro teacup Pomeranian had her Tussigon refilled today. When she was first prescribed the Tussigon, our veterinarian thought she had an infection. Today our veterinarian told me she was prescribing the medication to make my dog “comfortable” and it is because her trachea is collapsing. What should I expect within the next year? I had a full size Pomeranian who tragically died one evening because her trachea collapsed and she never had any health problems. I want to be prepared this time-what do you advise. Thank you!
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on with Bitsee? Does she have any problems with breathing at all?

Looks like you are not currently online to respond. I am about to log off but if you come back online to respond I will be happy to respond to you whenever I log back in. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am online

OKay I am here now. How long has this been going on with Bitsee? Does she have any problems with breathing at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This has been going on for approximately 6 to 8 months however it was sporadic. Her cough became consistent in November and I brought her to the vet in December
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also in July 2016 I brought her in for an emergency visit because she was not eating. The doctor took an x-ray and noted her trachea was beginning to collapse

Okay thanks for the additional information. Unfortunately collapsing tracheas are common with Pomeranians. How quickly it progresses can vary in each dogs. Some dogs can have just an annoying cough for the rest of their life and it doesn't affect them in any other way, while others will have it progress and potentially cause breathing issues. Usually you will notice during the year if she responds well to the medication and doesn't struggle to breath at all then that would indicate a good prognosis. Otherwise if you notice the opposite then that would indicate a poorer prognosis with the tracheal disease.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But her breathing started becoming strains in November 2017 and now that she has been on one round of medication which she did well on and then a week off when she coughed frequently to today where she had her medication refilled for her cough. When her veterinarian told me today she was prescribing the medication to keep her comfortable because of her trachea what should I expect?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Because I lost a full-size Pomeranian at the age of six tragically due to a collapsed tracheaI Would like to be prepared
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I apologize I’m using voice text

That is a good signs that she responded well to the Tussigon. When your veterinarian said she is prescribing the medication to keep her comfortable I believe she meant the medication is keeping her comfortable because the medication can't cure the problem but stopping the cough will keep her comfortable.

I don't think it was a statement about her prognosis if I understand it correctly

I would only worry about the prognosis if she stops responding to the medication or seems to show problems with breathing despite being on the medication

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In your opinion will she ever be able to come off the medication or well her trachea continue to get worse
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also if she stops responding to the medication will it be suddenly?

Based on my experience in my opinion this will be a life long medication. Time will tell if her trachea will continue to get worse. Some dogs as they get older it does worsen but some still can be manage well with this medication. Usually if she stops responding it is typically gradually vs suddenly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is the medication that she is on making her more comfortable because she will continue to get worse? In your opinion and experience what is the lifespan of a micro teacup Pomeranian?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is surgery an option to repair her trachea? She weighs approximately 5 pounds.

No the medication is making her more comfortable because it stops her from coughing by blocking or minimizing the cough reflex at the level of the brain. The average life span for most Pomeranians can be anywhere from 12-15 years so she may still have some years left on her. Surgery is only to be considered if the tracheal collapse is so bad that they have problems breathing or if the medications are not working. It is typically a very risky surgery because they can have severe respiratory issues during the procedure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that the lifespan for a Pomeranian or a micro teacup Pomeranian?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Because she is prescribed Tussigon doesn’t that mean she is having problems breathing?

Typically the life span is about the same for both unless the teacup was born with some genetic issues due to her size. The tussigon is only a cough supressant. If there was a concern for trouble breathing she would have been prescribed some type of bronchodilator.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Interesting. What are the side effects of the medication she is on?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also I’m a little confused. The trachea collapsing doesn’t interfere with her breathing?

The most common side effects with that medication could include becoming sedate, or in rare cases vomiting and diarrhea. Yes trachea collapse can interfere with her breathing but it depends on the severity . Usually the initial signs are coughing which doesn't necesssarily mean that there are having issues with their breathing . But if they continue to cough it can make it worse and cause spasm which could lead to the tracheal collapsing more often that is why the medication is important and helpful

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That makes sense. Thank you so much for your help. Is there any other advice you could give me to prevent any problems with her trachea. Also in your opinion what is the correct frequency to give her the medication?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Currently the prescription state as needed. But I want to stay ahead of any problems much like one does when they are prescribed pain medication.

You are welcome. Additional information that you need to know when it comes to her trachea is to make sure her weight is under control. If she is overweight it definitely can make it worse. Also you may want to use a harness if you are not using one already as well. Typically that medication is given 1-2 times daily depending on how severe the cough is. Dogs with a mild cough will need it less frequently .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wonderful. I feel so much better and I appreciate your time and consideration to my concerns. God bless.

No problem. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian