Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate a package of sugar free cough drops and their…

My dog ate a package...
My dog ate a package of sugar free cough drops and their wrappers (Ingredients: menthol 5.8 mg. Inactive: acesulfame potassium, corn starch, eucalyptus oil, FD&C blue no.1, FD&C red no. 40, glycerin, gum arabbic, isomalt, malitol syrup, medium chain tryglycerides, natural & artificial flavors, soybean oil, sucralose) and then threw them up while I was gone (roughly 2 hours). He drank a bunch of water, I gave him hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting and he mainly threw up water. There may have been one cough drop in there too... He's now acting relatively normal, though a little clingy. Are these ingredients harmful?It's hard for me to estimate how many he ate. It's a package of 150 drops that I've been eating for about a week and there are ~50 left. Maybe 75? 50? somewhere in there
1/18/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you... For reference, I just counted and there are 58 left in the bag
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, I forgot to mention. He's 11 year old beagle roughly 30 pounds

Got it thanks, ***** ***** your answer now ...

Hello again,

You did the right thing in inducing vomiting, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

The good news is that the menthol and eucalyptus oil and the other ingredients listed in this product are not toxic to dogs as such, and Xylitol is not present which is the only artificial sweetener which can be toxic to dogs, but under the circumstances some dogs might experience a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea purely due to the sudden ingestion of a fairly large amount of such an unusual food source for dogs, but should this occur it is not likely to be any great problem and should pass on its own. Any wrappers swallowed are not likely to be a problem by the way. I guess the more of these cough drops that was swallowed the more likely a stomach upset is to occur, so I will give you a few tips on how to handle a mild stomach upset should it occur. { Only carry out these measures should symptoms occur }

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yoghurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a tablespoon twice a day is fine for a dog of your one's size.

Given the above the chances are you will be taking very little risk in just monitoring your dog for present, but should symptoms occur and you then become further concerned then you should have a local vet check him over just to be on the safe side. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if either of your Beagle's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello, I'm glad to hear the drops aren't toxic at those quantities at least. I'll keep an eye on him and heed your advice. Thank you so much, Dr Scott!

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr Scott,I wanted to update you on my dog. He did have bouts of vomiting and diarrhea, but his stomach is settling as I'm transitioning back to his normal food. Thanks so much for your help!

So glad things worked out ...

Thanks for the update.

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian