Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is tying to vomit but nothing comes out and then she is…

She is tying to...

She is tying to vomit but nothing comes out and then she is eating everything she can find. Usually she wants to eat grass uncontrollably but we have a lot of snow so she was eating that. Can't seem to relax and get comfortable.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

I've been gone all day but I don't think so. She really couldn't get to anything strange.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she's 2 1/2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about JoJo?

No she's been fine and all up to date on shots

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2018
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Did Jojo eat dinner tonight?

has she been fed any table food?

Does she tend to eat things she should not like toys?

How many times has she attempted to vomit?

She hasn't eaten much at all today, but she ate a little because there wasn't anything else around. She is dry heaving some and then trying to vomit while loooking fiord anything else she can eat or lick. She does sometimes eat things she shouldn't but she hasn't in a while. Mostly her toys nothing else.
I tried giving her some honey becaus at first I thought it was a cough. Didn't seem to do anything.

Are there any toys missing or parts of toys missing? This is very important and has she been fed any table food in last 3 days?

She had a bite of bread last night. That's it.

Any toys missing???

or parts of toys?

No toys missing.
Doesn't look like any parts are missing.

Ok, well vomiting is a non specific sign of disease.....it is a general sign that can be due to gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, foreign body ingestion or metabolic disease.....only way to find cause if exam, bloodwork and xrays...

sorry....is.

Ok.

Is she still dry heaving? and how long has she been doing this?

and when did she first start acting abnormal? Was it earlier today?

I got her to sit with me on the couch to try and relax. She is calmer now. Wel'll see if it lasts.
It was right around 8:15pm ET.

If the attempting to vomit continues you should take her to the ER....

Ok. Thanks.

Can I answer any other questions or concerns for you tonight?

Please give me a 5 star rating for prompt service....thank you very much! DRB

and let me know if you need additional help as I check my computer every night.

Do u know why after 2 1/2 years she would still try and eat things she shouldn't? Shouldn't she be growing out of the puppy stage? She's a smart dog. She's a blue heeler/***** ***** terrier mix.

Some dogs will persist in that behavior especially some breeds like heelers.....

Ok thanks!

You always have to keep house pet proofed with those breeds...they need alot of exercise....lots

They really need a job! :)

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Let me know if you need additional help..DRB

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian