Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just had a CTscan and biopsy and the surgeon switched…

my dog just had a...
my dog just had a CTscan and biopsy and the surgeon switched her from Galaprant and amantadine to Gabapentin and tramadol because she was both bleeding in her stool and wasn't eating. now that the procedure is over and she seems to be doing better (didn't seem to do well on tramadol) he said we could switch her back to the original meds ( which seemed to do well for her). she has only been on the new ones for less than a week, do we need to wait a few days with her not taking anything to clear her system? or is it ok to just switch her back?
1/18/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that you are concerned about whether you can abruptly switch your pup from Gabapentin and Tramadol back to Galliprant and Amantadine.

There is no need to have any sort of withdrawal period when switching between those drugs. In fact Galliprant can be used along with Gabapentin and Tramadol if need be.

So in short there is no reason to wait to switch her back. I hope that your girl is much more comfortable soon.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank You!

You are very welcome.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara