Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My rat terrier has vomited approximately 10 times today over…

My rat terrier has...

My rat terrier has vomited approximately 10 times today over the last 8 hours. 1st one had her last meal in it then, after that was clear mucus looking until the last 2 recently appear to have some pinkish (probably blood) in it. She is 13 years old and has been very mopey today.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your rat terrier eat anything unusual?

Not that we are aware of and it has been snowing all day so her outside time has been very limited

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the rat terrier's name?

Kasey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kasey?

The only other odd thing with her is that over the last 2 weeks she has seemed to have trouble walking with her back legs off and on. She has had trouble jumping up on couch and we have seen her fall down with her back legs

1/18/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn that Kasey is vomiting. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Is she on any medications?

She didn’t eat anything out of the ordinary that we are aware of and she has had very little time outside today due to heavy snow. She has a mild heart murmur but is not on any meds. She has had a flu shot in November.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- How many hours since the last time she vomited?

4- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

She is about 18 pounds, no other symptoms other than she looks like she doesn’t feel good. 15 min since last vomiting and there were 3 episodes in just a couple of minutes. We would say that her gums are pink, light pink

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Ok, thank you

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, when we see a dog vomiting as much as Kasey we need to rule out pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. The blood could be a tiny vessel that she could have ruptured with forceful vomiting or there is something damaging the wall of the upper gastrointestinal tract like a foreign body.

In this case, I would recommend having her checked by ER veterinarian, it is important to rule out pancreatitis or a foreign body ingestion. If you do not have access to ER veterinarian this is what you can do until she is seen in the morning by your family veterinarian:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 5-7 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, she can continue to have water. Leave her without food for 12 hours then offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Thank you for your help, we will start your recommendations now.

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian