Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a pregnant French Bulldog about day 32, she weighs…

I have a pregnant...

I have a pregnant French Bulldog about day 32, she weighs 33lbs - just ate about 5oz of milk chocolate truffles. Do i induce vomitting - or wait for a reaction?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Abbey is 3 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abbey?

Other than she is pregnant on day 32 :)

1/18/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Abbey very much, in fact, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her, the chances are she will be just fine. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see any signs of toxicity. Also, there is no evidence that this sort of incident will affect her pregnancy, but let's talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate Abbey's weight as being in the region of 33 lb then you can see that she would have to swallow around 23.1 ozs { More than one pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. So clearly 5 ozs of chocolate is not going to affect her very much, so no worries as far as chocolate toxicity goes.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as Abbey ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

4. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Abbey's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Thank you for the follow up. She's been fine, not even any diarrhea. Doesn't seem like she had any reaction. Thank you for your help. It's a great service.

So glad she came through this OK.

Thanks for the update.

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian