Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog. Possible seizure. Leo.. he is 3 yrs old

Are you a live...

Are you a live person?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Possible seizure

Veterinarian's Assistant: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Leo.. he is 3 yrs old

1/18/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you describe what you saw?

it will take a minute.. typing now

Okay, take your time. I am sorry I can not make a phone call, but, I will be able to answer your question in this chat. I will be waiting for your response. Thank you.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
dog has been normal no health issues for 3 years.. zero aggression.. 125 LB swiss mountain dog / male / neturered.was about to feed dinner.. turned around and dog was cringing and curled upand backing frantically through the kitchen banging off the walls.. then fell on ground and pissed himself etc.. snarled up clenced jaw.. snapping.. it was crazy..then..
I started thumping on his chest. idk.. thought he was having a heart attachk... it didnt seem like he was breathing.. so i was doing that and he starts relaxing and not all clenched up.. but then he starts crazy foaming from his mouth.. and his brain was not right... he did not know who I was and was very aggressive...then..
he chased me outside.. and I snuck back in the house.. and watched him thru the door.. he started to calm down and you could tell his brain was back.. so I let him back in.. zero aggresiveness being displayed now... he is shaken and all.. but not aggressive at this point.. I have him in the crate....was that a seizure?.. what do I do at this point?
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, what you are describing is consistent with a seizure. It is common after the seizure for the patient to not recognize owners and may display aggression. As far as the seizure, there are many possible causes; common causes are an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism), kidney or liver disease, hypoglycemia, brain tumors, idiopathic (unknown), etc. to name a few causes. One of the most common cause in a young dog like Leo is idiopathic epilepsy, meaning we do not know why the brain behaves in such manner but we can control the seizures with medications (phenobarbital or/and potassium bromide).

In this case, I would highly recommend a check-up with the family veterinarian for a hands-on examination and blood work as an initial screening test to rule out the above-mentioned diseases. If the seizures occur more than once a month medication should be started to stop or prevent the seizures. Observe him tonight, if he seizes again have him checked by ER veterinarian otherwise follow up in the morning with your veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

thank you.. I am very satisfied.!

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
leo has epilepsy .. he is on medication and is doing well /.. hopes are he lives normally with occasional controlled seizures..thank you for your time

Hello, I am happy to learn Leo is doing well. Thank you for the update.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian