Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog chewed an almost empty Afrin bottle. He is not

Customer Question
My dog chewed an...

My dog chewed an almost empty Afrin bottle. He is not showing any signs of distress should I be worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

He seems fine this happened a half hour ago

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thank you
Ok thank you

Afrin contains oxymetazoline as its active ingredient. The toxic dose in dogs after oral ingestions is not clear, but young children have developed serious adverse effects - CNS depression, shock-like hypotension, and coma - after ingesting as little as 1 to 2 mL of formulations of eye drops or nasal spray containing imidazoline decongestants such as oxymetazoline. If he has remained well until now there's a good chance he'll continue to be well.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

I found this: "In dogs, signs of intoxication may include vomiting, bradycardia (slow heart rate), cardiac arrhythmias (irregular heart rates_, poor capillary refill time, hypotension or hypertension, panting, increased upper respiratory sounds, depression, weakness, nervousness, hyperactivity, or shaking. These signs appear within 30 min to 4 hr postexposure."

That is fine. He seems normal. Hasn't thrown up, normal breathing and heart rate. I don't thibk that there was barely a drop in it

That would be the best scenario of all. Please monitor him for the 3 hours. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.