Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have another question about my dog Jax he had a seizure…

Hi I have another question...
Hi I have another question about my dog Jax he had a seizure yesterday that lasted over an hour and half before it was stopped at the vet and had a temp of 109 they got him to normal temp and it continued to drop so low they had to have him sleep in heated kennel wrapped in warm blankets they didn’t think he would make it but to our surprise he has lifted his head but seems to be very unable to focus his eyes are glazed and he can’t figure out how to eat and is struggling to walk. We feel he may have lots of permanent damage but can’t decide what we should do in your opinion do you honestly think he could live a normal life after the trauma his body and brain have suffered?
1/18/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Jax. There's a significant possibility that 109F "fried" his brain and the only manner in which to know if that's the case is by seeing how he progresses over the next few days. You'll need to see a very positive change in just the next few days because the type of damage such hyperthermia causes isn't likely to be reversible.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian