Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a used Xulane patch is it toxic. A birth control…

My dog ate a...

My dog ate a used Xulane patch is it toxic

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what your dog ate?

A birth control patch (Xulane)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

He is 5 months and weighs 35 pounds.

The medication is Xulane, 150/35 mcg
1/18/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Thank you. I await your response.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I would not worry too much about this incident for two reasons. One is that the active ingredients { norelgestromin and ethinyl estradiol } are the sort of thing found in regular birth control pills and regular birth control pills are quite non-toxic to dogs, in fact, I have known dogs swallow a great many of them and not show any symptoms. The second reason not to worry is that this was a used patch which had been on your arm for a week so the levels of active ingredients would have been very low indeed when the patch was discarded. The physical patch itself being fairly small will be likely to just pass along your dog's digestive tract without a problem.

2. Having said the above this is a fairly rare incident which as far as I can see has not been documented in the dog so it would be wise to keep a good eye on your dog and contact a local vet without delay if any odd symptoms occur, but really this would be quite unlikely.

3. Given the above, all you need do for now is just to keep an eye on your dog. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if his condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thank you for the information. We will keep a close watch on him.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?