Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My newborn puppy is 3 weeks old. She had her both eyes

Hello, my newborn puppy is...
Hello, my newborn puppy is 3 weeks old. She had her both eyes opened a week ago. Today I noticed that one of her eyes is closed. What is happen to her?
1/17/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

ok thank you

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Fia. Is she nursing well?

The most common reason for a closed eye in a puppy this young is an eye infection. You can use a warm moist compress to clean the eye and see if that helps. She might need some antibiotic eye drops.

I cleaned it w cotton ball already and slightly pull to open, she open like half way, but then closed it again. do i need to go to vet for drops?

Most drops are by prescription, from a veterinarian. In many but not all states you can get Terramycin eye ointment in pet stores, online, or in feed stores. That should be safe to use a tiny bit in the eye twice daily.

she is eating just fine. today was first day i gave them gruel w milk substitude and kibbles. they eat it but got all dirty. I was wondering if any food got in her eye?

Having this checked by a veterinarian if it is not clearing up is best; you don't want damage to such a new young eye.

If she got something in her eye, that could cause this. If the surface of her eye is injured, that is something a veterinarian should check out if this is not getting better.

i didnt see any discharge from eye, it just was tightly closed

The only way to know if the eye is damaged would be an exam by a veterinarian. She may be holding it closed because it is painful, if there is no discharge.

how long should i wait to call vet is eye is not opened

A scratch on her cornea (surface of the eye) might heal on its own in a couple of days, but sometimes can turn into a serious problem. If it is not open by tomorrow, or if it opens but does not look like the other eye, I would have it checked.

ok, thank you. I will keep an EYE on her eye

Please let me know how she is doing. You are welcome!

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

i can get veterycin plus. is that something could work?
also NFZ puffer its for eye and ear infections

Let me look up what is in Vetrycin plus; one moment.

I have not used Vetricyn but it sounds safe. Only use a tiny bit.

what about NFZ puffer?

Just had to look that up; it contains nitrofurantoin. Not sure that is safe for a puppy this young; let me research.

I am searching but can't find if it is safe for such a young puppy, such a new eye. I would not use it; the only antibiotic I would feel comfortable recommending is Terramycin.

ok, thank you. Veterricyn comes as wash and gel. what u suggest?

Again, I have never used it, so I can't wholeheartedly recommend it for such a new young eye. If this were my own puppy, the only thing I would feel safe recommending is Terramycin, because if I have used it in puppies and kittens.

The wash would not be as long lasting as gel, so it is probably safer. The label says dogs, not puppies, so that probably means it has not been tested in puppies. I can't recommend it; I sure don't want to damage a young puppy eye.

she kinda cracked it open just a little bit.

Probably the safest thing to do is the warm moist compress.

just water on gauze?

Or on a tissue or clean cloth.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
ok, i will do it right now. and see what happen tomorrow. thank again

You are welcome!

Hello, I am not sure if you still available, but i have aquestion about mama. She was really lethargic today and was staying with babies which is unusual coz she is very energetic and was spending time between me and pups.
I notised now that her tits got really big and hot. Look like they got swollen and look kinda knobby. I can see her veins on her belly pretty well. I was wondering if that could be milk fever?
fia eye still closed really tight too. just for your info

Sorry I was not still online when you got back to me.

Milk fever is a condition where the mother's blood calcium gets too low. They have a fever, weakness, and can have seizures. She may have "Mastitis", infection and inflammation in her milk glands. It is not unusual to see prominent veins when a mother dog is nursing.

How are they this morning?

Just to let you know, the website asks that if you have a new question like about Fia's mother, they want to you rate this question and open a new one.

If the eye is still closed today, I would have it checked.

Thank you for the great rating. Please let me know how she is doing today.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian