Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog on his right side had a swollen soft looking like a…

Customer Question
My dog on his...

My dog on his right side had a swollen soft looking like a ball on his face. I pressed it and he did not cry i pulled a piece of maybe a foxtail out and hours later the swellening went down. Then today when he came in from doing his business outside the swollen came back. He is not acting different, he is a mixed Terrier

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Spike 11 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Spike

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spike?

He does have missing teeth and his teeth are not in good condition.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about the swelling on Spike's face.

Is the swelling on his cheek on the area just below his eye? (see the pictures of the dogs in the links below)

1) http://virtuavet.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/pus-coming-out-a-hole-in-the-face.jpg

2) http://www.dentistvet.com/images/FacialSwelling1.jpg

If so given that this came up quickly and we know he has bad teeth the most likely cause of it is actually a premolar tooth root abscess that has ruptured through the skin. The roots of the upper premolar teeth end up just below the eye and if the tooth becomes infected the infection often travels through the soft tissue around the root and drains out through the face. As the infection worsens we can see quite a bit of swelling on the face. The tooth crown may look normal in the mouth, as it is the root that is infected, but sometimes we can see how the infection entered via a crack or chip fracture by looking at his teeth.

I suspect that you pulled a piece of dead tissue out that was blocking drainage, and that allowed the infection to drain out and the swelling to go down, but when the hole became plugged by more dead tissue the abscess refilled.

He really needs to see his veterinarian for an examination and antibiotics and he will likely need his tooth extracted. This isn't an emergency as long as he is still eating and drinking well. They can put him on pain medication and anti-inflammatories as well.

You can help him now by warm compressing the area to get the infection draining out. Most of their discomfort comes from the infection not draining which creates painful pressure. Do not put antibiotic ointment over the wound as that seals in infection but you can clean it with a mix of warm water and antibacterial soap after warm compressing it, and then apply antibacterial ointment around the wound to protect healthy skin around it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian