Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Vomitting after shots. Groot, 11 weeks. I don't think so…

Customer Question
Vomitting after shots Veterinarian's...

Vomitting after shots

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Groot, 11 weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Groot?

I don't think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did Groot get the vaccines { How many days or hours ago }?

30 minutes maybe.

Got it, working on your answer now ...

He is about probably about 2lbs. He is a Shorkie

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Groot is unwell, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

I do wonder if what you are seeing is related to the puppy shots he just had. Vaccine reactions can and do occur but of course I cannot accurately advise on individual cases over the internet so if you want to be 100% safe you should have your vet check your pup over without delay, having said that I can tell you the following :

Basically, there are two sorts of vaccine reactions which can commonly occur :

1. Serious anaphylactic reactions: These reactions occur very rarely and are potentially life-threatening allergic reactions, they will start within several minutes to an hour after vaccination and require immediate veterinary attention as your dog will be in extremis or collapsed. I doubt if this is happening in Groot's case if some degree of vomiting is the only symptom you are seeing.

2. Mild reactions: These are more common, they usually start within hours to several days after vaccination, and last no more than four or five days, you may see discomfort and pain at the site where the vaccine was given, perhaps a mild fever and reduced appetite plus sometimes lethargy and vomiting. These dogs feel very sorry for themselves but the protection they receive via vaccination is so important. This sort of reaction seems more common in small pups of toy breeds.

As I said it seems likely to me under the circumstances that Groot may have the second form of the vaccine reaction but of course other diagnoses are possible. If this is a minor vaccine reaction the main way to treat this is just support and trying to keep him eating and drinking, really this is just good nursing care. While there are no guarantees the majority of these dogs slowly return to normal over a couple of days.

Of course, if he deteriorates further or you become more concerned you should have him checked over by your local vet without delay. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Groot's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Groot is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect minor vaccine reaction ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian