Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just fed my dog to of the new chicken select strips from…

I just fed my...

I just fed my dog to of the new chicken select strips from McDonalds. They smell very spicy and I look up the ingredients on the breading and it contains onion powder and garlic powder

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

.Gracey she is 7 years old and weighs 78 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Gracey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gracey?

She throw up after she ate them but then ate the vomit

1/16/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Luckily there is not enough garlic and onion powder in these for a dog Gracey's size to be of concern of toxicity but with the spices it certainly can cause gi upset. As with any ingestion please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite and since seen please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the ingredients pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Water only in moderation

- No further food tonight
- Next meal should be a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify. I am online another 30 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian