Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my dachshund has a swollen saliva gland. Bingley is…

I think my dachshund...

I think my dachshund has a swollen saliva gland

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?

Bingley is 2yrs & not drooling but marble sized lumps under jaw & trouble eating

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Just worried about him eating & if this my result in seeing a vet. will he need meds?

1/16/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am really sorry about bingley. I am working on a response and I will be back shortly.
thank you its -20 here and trying not to take him out in the cold unless certain he needs a vet
there's a couple things that I would worry about. Yes he could have salivary glands that are increased in size and could be causing some discomfort when eating however the other thing that I would be worried about would be enlarged lymph nodes. The salivary glands and the lymph nodes are located anatomically very close together. It is extremely important to determine which one is enlarged because it can mean two very different disease processes. I worry less about the enlarged salivary glands although it can take time to treat it and resolve the problem. I worry more about increased lymph node size as it typically that could signify a more serious disease.
Where are you located? I am originally from Minnesota and I just got back from a trip there and it was-5.
How long has this problem been going on? Does he seem painful, depressed and lethargic?
I understand not wanting to go out in that type of weather. If he is not doing well and is lethargic, depressed and has a decreased appetite, then I absolutely would recommend getting it checked out as soon as you can just to make sure that it's nothing serious. I am not definitely not trying to worry you at all however if the lymph nodes are increase in size you need to make sure that it's nothing serious like lymphoma. It is good that he's a young dog and hopefully it's just increased salivary gland size. I just want to present you with all of the information so that you can make a good decision.
we are in Nebraska & experiencing a cold snap. he still is playful but is taking more naps & wants me to hold him constantly. this is week 2 of noticing something a bit off. he is acting a bit depressed
i have gotten him some wet food to help.
the lumps are on both sides of the underside of the lower jaw about the size of a marble. soft not hard feeling
Okay I understand. I think the wet food is a really good choice. So that doesn't sound too big in size. The other thing that I didn't mention is that he could just be dealing with an infection that's causing reactive lymph nodes and if there is infection it could be causing him to be depressed and lethargic. I would monitor him very closely and if things are not getting better then I would recommend taking him in for an exam. I am glad that he is still playful and willing to eat and drink. Continue to monitor the size of the swelling to ensure that it's not increasing in size significantly. There are other lymph nodes located behind the knees. If these lymph nodes are big and size you will be able to feel them. If they are not increase in size you will not be able to feel them. It is just another thing that you can try to monitor until you take him in.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If you are satisfied with my assistance, a five star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our Time. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for approximately a week so please keep me posted and send me more questions if needed. Sincerely ***** *****
well i checked behind the knee & it doesnt seem to have any swollen or a knot in it.
i know a little about dog anatomy im a dog groomer.
That is really really great. Maybe he has a little infection and it's causing his lymph nodes to be a little bit big. I would continue to Baby him and if things are not getting better than take him in. I wish there was something I could tell you to give him however there is no medication I can recommend without having him seen. And if he needs antibiotics and that would have to be prescribed by your veterinarian. I think just take one day at a time and see if with a little time his condition improves. If not then you know what the next step is. You can also check his mouth and see if you can detect any kind of a bad tooth or older.
Meant to say odor
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
than you for you help. i do intend to take him to a vet soon if i dont see improvement. interesting you mentioned the breath i noticed its more funky then normal. not horrible but a bit rotten
teeth look good, no darkening or build up & gum color is normal