Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 35 pound dog ate approximately 30 fish oil pills with…

My 35 pound dog ate...
My 35 pound dog ate approximately 30 fish oil pills with 2,000iu. What should I do? It happened sometime before 5 today.
1/16/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Nakoma swallowed 30 pills of 2,000 IU (approximately 60,000 IU total dose). Is that a correct summary of the situation?

In response to that question, can you also please verify if there is vitamin D in these fish oil pills? Some are fortified with vitamin D and that changes the treatment approach.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The package says plus vitamin d3. 2,000iu

Thank you for that information. I am typing my response now. Please bear with me a few more moments.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correction: The fish oil is 2000 mg and the vitamin d3 is 2000 iu

Thank you. I am just about finished with my response. Thank you for your patience.

The toxic ingredient in this combination is to the vitamin D. The fish oil can cause upset stomach such as vomiting and diarrhea, but no damage or toxicity to internal organs are expected. Vitamin D toxicity can cause serious consequences, so calculations were made based on the body weight and information you provided. The toxic dose for a 35 pound dog receiving vitamin D is 8 mg. 40,000 IU equals approximately 1 mg. Therefore, 60,000 IU (what Nakoma swallowed) equals 1.5 mg. Treatment for this is to induce vomiting and give activated charcoal. This should be done by a veterinarian as soon as possible.

I am not sure what time zone you live, but if the ingestion occurred within the last 3 hours then vomiting could work to remove most of the tablets. However, if it has been longer than 3 hours then likely that will not be effective and all efforts to reduce absorption and flush the body with IV fluids should be given.

I realize there is a typo above. The sentence above should have read, "The toxic dose for a 35 pound dog receiving vitamin D is 1 mg (not 8 mg)."

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** ate them more than 3 hours ago. She could have eaten them this am.
I am afraid that this is going to be so expensive!

Emergency care is likely going to recommend hospitalization for the night. That would be the best approach for her well being. I know this can be expensive. I hope it all works out for you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a 5 star review. You can do this at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied. Thank you!

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Cherie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nakoma. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian