Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is 9 weeks and got into the bathroom trash and we assume…

He is 9 weeks...

He is 9 weeks and got into the bathroom trash and we assume he ate 3 used tampons.... he hasn't had a bowel movement but he eats and drinks normally. His gums look normal and aren't dry or sticky...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Morokei

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Morokei?

He has just had his first round of shots and deworming, flea and tick drops and interceptor for heartworm.

1/16/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

When did he eat the tampons?

When did he last have a bowel movement?

Is he straining to have a bowel movement and nothing is coming out?

Between 6 and 8 am is when he ate them. His last bowel movement was around the same time. I'm not sure if he is straining or not. We are sitting with him now

Okay, by straining I mean he is posturing to have a bowel movement and nothing is coming out. You would know if he was.

When did he eat dinner? If you press into his abdomen is he tense or painful?

I just got in here with him which is why 8m not sure if he has been trying to have a bowel movement. My son said yes to the straining. His dinner was eaten around 6:30 (an hour ago)
His abdomen is tight but he doesn't seem to be in pain when I press on it.

Thank you,

Normally if they have a gastrointestinal blockage they will not eat, they vomit a lot, and they are painful on abdominal palpation.

So I am not too worried at this point about no bowel movement yet.

I would just monitor him for now.

See if he continues to strain or if he starts vomiting.

Exercise increases gastrointestinal motility. So play with him or run him around the yard and see if that causes him to have a bowel movement.

None yet. We have also given him bread as directed by his vet, but he won't eat the bread.
He was given peanut butter today and that appeared to be the only thing he vomited up.
Ok. We will try that. Thank you for your help.

But he did not vomit up his dinner right? So that is a good sign.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

If he has not had a bowel movement but tomorrow morning then he needs to see the vet.

"by tomorrow morning"

If he refuses to eat his food, he starts vomiting, he starts vocalizing in pain, or he seems painful on abdominal palpation then take him to the vet at once.

If you want to increase the fiber, to help push things through, try human Benefiber. That has no flavor and is a powder you can mix with his food.

He is pretty small so try 1/8 teaspoon with his food, once a day, until he has a bowel movement.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions I may assist you with.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian