Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 14 year sheltie can't stand up anymore. His stomach is…

My 14 year sheltie...

My 14 year sheltie can't stand up anymore. His stomach is swollen, but his BM has been normal. Is this just old age?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Einstein

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Einstein?

He is alert, suffers from arthrits

1/15/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. If he has an enlarged or distended abdomen, that is usually due to some type of disease process. It could be a mass in the abdomen. It could be an enlarged stomach from trapped gas (bloat). Or it could be fluid buildup in the abdomen (most common) from liver or kidney problems, right sided heart failure, bleeding from a tumor or chronic gastrointestinal issues. It is difficult to say if the issues with standing are related to arthritis or just weakness from whatever is going on. Either way, I would highly recommend getting him in to see your vet to get a full exam, blood work and x-rays. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian