Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Second opinion] My 17 week old puppy has been diagnosed with…

Second opinion] My 17...

Second opinion] My 17 week old puppy has been diagnosed with Factor VII deficiency. She is teething and losing her molars. She is acting ok, pads are pink, gums are a little more pale than usual. She has had 4 transfusions, 1st one after spay, last one 2 weeks ago for unknown source of bleeding. She is an Aussie mix and currently weighs about 21 lbs. Is it possible for her to lose enough blood to kill her? I can not afford further transfusions. Are there any suggestions for helping to slow down her bleeding when teeth fall out? How long does it usually take for new teeth to come in?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

My vet suggested giving her Chinese herb Yunnan Biayau and also put her on vitamin K. She has been on those for about a week.

Any suggestions for slowing the bleeding down while she is teething?
Answered in 1 day by:
1/16/2018
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience. I am so sorry to hear she has this deficiency.

The Vitamin K and the chinese herb are excellent!

I must ask if she is a Scottish Deerhound, Papillon or Springer Spaniel as there is a known significant genetic problem in this breeds.

On the up side if this is the only factor she is deficient in, this is usually not a life threatening deficiency, which is why I am concerned if she is having significant bleeding still. Most cases with this deficiency only have mild bleeding that doesn't require treatment unless they have a surgery and then pre-treatment and post-treatment plasma transfusions are needed. I assume her platelets are normal and all other factors on the screening (she did have the official screening which usually goes to Cornell to isolate which factors are a problem) were fine. Did she also get screened for VonWillebrand's disease (which is a problem with platelets). Generally, bleeding from the mouth will always look more significant due to dilution with saliva but the platelets should kick in and stop the bleeding within a few minutes without having massive hemorrhage. If she is having massive hemorrhage, I wonder if, even if it tested normal, there may be another factor (VIII?) that is having issues as well.

There is not a lot more you can add in to help with this. Blood transfusions or cryoprecipitate (FFP plasma) infusions help temporarily (12-24 hours) but not long term and are expensive. They are great to do prior to a big surgery (not that I would advocate any big surgery for her unless absolutely necessary; even a spay could be life threatening for her later on if she is having this much trouble with teething).

The bad news is not much can be done long-term. There is no cure for this. :(

Thanks for your answer. We aren’t sure what her breed is. We think Aussie mix, border collie mix or something along that line. She was a foster starting at 8 weeks of age from the pound, then I adopted her at 10 weeks. We already have spay behind us, as that is how we were alerted to the problem. She bled out that night. She actually respiratory arrested on our way to the vet and my husband and I did CPR on her until we reached the vet. As far as I know, that is the only factor she is deficient in, but I am definitely going to get a copy of the lab results from Cornell. I appreciate your answer. She remains very active so I am not going to panic and assume that possibly it just appears to be more blood than it actually is. Thanks you so much.

I can assure you that many dogs live with this condition for a regular lifetime, but the only times we worry about it are anything that might cause substantial bleeding such as a trauma or surgery. If she needs surgery in the future then best to go to a referral center where they will have plasma rich with clotting factor available to give before/after a procedure.Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!

**Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey