Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Lame on left hind leg saw it in Dec and got worse see it…

Customer Question
Lame on left hind...

Lame on left hind leg saw it in Dec and got worse see it when she gets up from laying down seems to work out when she is up she a german shepard mix about 40 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Shepherd. What is the Shepherd's name and age?

Sadie 8years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?

No she is on no meds beside heart worm and flea stuff in hot weather

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/15/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Has any exam or x-rays been done?

How active is she?

no x-rays haven't been done I will take her to my vet.but the weather here is bad and cant get out at this time sick and snow and cold. she is very active when weather permits we walk 1-2 miles a day.

Thanks for the information. Sorry about the wait. I had an emergency I had to attend to. My concern with the symptoms is definitely arthritis. She shows the classic signs of more stiffness or pain when getting up and getting better as she is moving. It could be hip related, but my concern is that she may have an injury to her cruciate ligament. I would definitely recommend a full orthopedic exam and x-rays. There are no human OTC pain medications that are considered completely safe for dogs. Enteric coated aspirin (walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm) is the only one that is somewhat safe, but it can still cause gastrointestinal problems, including bleeding, and kidney problems and may interfere with other medications you vet may want to use, so I don't usually recommend it. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Sadie is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian