Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Lame on left hind leg saw it in Dec and got worse see it…

Lame on left hind...

Lame on left hind leg saw it in Dec and got worse see it when she gets up from laying down seems to work out when she is up she a german shepard mix about 40 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Shepherd. What is the Shepherd's name and age?

Sadie 8years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?

No she is on no meds beside heart worm and flea stuff in hot weather

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/15/2018
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome, my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian here to help answer your questions. You're inquiring about your dog limping on his left hind leg, correct?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Lameness from which my patient can "warm-out" of is usually osteoarthritic in origin and in the large breed dogs - particularly German shepherds - the osteoarthritis is usually found in the hips. Sadie's vet will want to palpate (feel, manipulate) and X-ray the joints of both hind legs. Treatment is likely to involve a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug such as carprofen or grapiprant plus neutraceuticals such as the omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil and commercial products containing glucosamine and chondroiton sulfate. Surgical intervention might be needed predicated upon the findings in X-rays. Here's my more complete synopsis of osteoarthritis for you:

We use a multimodal approach to osteoarthritis in our dogs - dietary management, nonsteroidal antiinflammatory pain relief, neutraceuticals, life-style changes and stem cell therapy. When used concomitantly these approaches should synergize and provide the best control of symptoms. For example, Sadie might show considerable improvement if you add fish oil to her diet. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil are anti-inflammatory. I use the cost-effective generic human fish oils and dose them at 20 mg/lb daily of the EPA in the fish oil. You'll find the amount of EPA on the label of the fish oil product. There are also products containing only EPA.

Avoid flax oil because it is poorly bioavailable to dogs. They can't metabolize it properly.

If you prefer, there are diets that are extremely high in omega-3 fatty acids. Hill's Prescription Diet j/d is one such diet.

Many vets feel that injections of Adequan (polysulfated glycosaminoglycan) work better than oral neutraceuticals such as glucosamine/chondroiton sulfate or the over the counter Cosequin or prescription Dasequin (please see here: http://www.amazon.com/Nutramax-Cosequin-PLUS-Chewable-Tablets/dp/B003ULL1NQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1432474254&sr=1-1&keywords=cosequin). Adequan is injected into Sadie weekly for a number of weeks at his vet's discretion. You can read more about Adequan here: http://www.adequancanine.us/

Regenerative stem cell therapy has come into its own and is now available for addressing osteoarthritis in dogs . Please see Vet-Stem's website here for more information:***@******.*** The regenerative stem cells are created from Sadie's fat cells and are capable of differentiating into a variety of tissue types including tendon, ligament, bone, cartilage, and muscle and have been proven to reduce pain and inflammation. I understand, however, that such an invasive procedure may not be appropriate at her age.

We have to suspect that just as in people, geriatric osteoarthritis in dogs is painful. If a prescription nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen, meloxicam or the new grapiprant isn't sufficient for controlling pain, please consider adding a well-tolerated narcotic such as tramadol to these therapies mentioned above. All of these drugs are available from Sadie's vet. Aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb of body weight with food every 12 hours can be helpful in a pinch as can be acetaminophen dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily. The two analgesics can be given concurrently and provide better analgesia than either drug alone.

Weight reduction is essential. The less weight Sadie's joints need to carry, the better.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you for your time and tips that may help.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.