Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She had a surgical insemination and she is still bleeding.

Customer Question
She had a surgical...

She had a surgical insemination and she is still bleeding

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No just that. She seems fine. It’s a French bulldog

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Ok
1/15/2018
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 7 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay. Do you still need help with this matter? If so, it is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

How long has it been since she was artificially inseminated?

How many days into her heat cycle was the insemination done?

Has she been bred before?

Has she had any vaccinations, etc since the insemination?

She has been successfully bred b4. She was at a Progestron level of 15 when she was bred. She was bred Jan 10th

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

It is not that unusual to see a little bleeding. While most dogs only bleed during the first stage of the heat cycle, other have a little bleeding during other stages. So what you could be seeing is just a little normal blood from the heat cycle. When they do a surgical insemination, they inject the sperm directly into the horn of the uterus so it has a very high chance of fertilizing the eggs. For the most part this doesn't produce a lot of bleeding but can produce some. If it is just a small amount of blood I wouldn't worry too much. If it is more than say a tablespoon of fresh blood, I'd contract your vet.

Now you also want to check to be sure the bleeding is not from the urethra. Many dogs who have had surgery will develop a urinary tract infection which can cause some bleeding from the area. You can use a cloth to blot the area to determine if it is from the urethra or the vulva. If it is the urethra, you will need to talk to your vet about treatment since she is potentially and likely to be pregnant.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.