Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Chihuahua ate 4 snacks size snicker bars and has been…

My Chihuahua ate 4 snacks...
My Chihuahua ate 4 snacks size snicker bars and has been vomiting .... what should I do for her?
1/15/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- How many ounces were each bar?

3- Was it dark or milk chocolate?

4- Any other symptoms?

9.5 pounds
Fun size ( that's what is on packages)
Milk chocolate
She looks a little bloated and is walking with her tail between her legs
Bullet has settled down.... she's now laying down on bed ... No vomiting in last 5 minutes
What do you suggest

Please give me 5 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, as you already know chocolate is toxic to dogs, but, toxicity depends on the amount consumed, the weight of the dog and type of chocolate. In this case, 4 fun size milk chocolate snickers are not likely to be systemically toxic, but, it can gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, etc. The fact that she vomited some of the chocolate lowers the toxic potential. This is what you can do for the vomiting:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 1-2 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Symptoms that would require an ER vet visit are profound lethargy or hyperactivity, muscle tremors, difficulty breathing, pale gums, etc.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Sorry I fell asleep last night with my dog ... she's better..... do I still continue with a pepcid AC today
She seems to be acting like herself.

If she is no longer vomiting and is eating no need to continue with the Pepcid AC.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian