Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5 yr old greyhound jumped off the stairs and is limping…

Customer Question
My 5 yr old...

My 5 yr old greyhound jumped off the stairs and is limping 0n one leg I can touch his leg up to his shoulder no problem but he yelps when you touch his shoulder. can't get to the vet till tomorrow morning what can I do for pain and comfort

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the Greyhound's name?

Grip

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Grip?

No just a healthy 95 pound bundle of love

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/14/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gwen, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, thank you for contacting us at Just Answer. I will do my best to answer your questions and see if we can help Grip. Is he on any medications? Does he have any previous injuries?

retired racer broke both front legs racing and is on no medications
online conversation is fine

Sorry, was working towards making the phone call happen - stay online or would you prefer to chat over the phone?

I'll just keep responding here for now unless you send me a note wanting a phone call.
It sounds like Grip is able to walk but with a limp, correct? Does he need to do stairs in order to go in/out of the house? Do you have a crate for him, or a small room that would be easy to confine him in? There are not many over the counter medications that are safe to administer to dogs, and without knowing exactly where the pain is coming from it would be difficult to give him a proper dose of even a dog-approved pain medication without an exam. Based on what you have written it could be his neck that is painful. Spinal pain/spinal cord pain can cause dogs to limp and will be very painful when the area is touched or the pet tries to move the head up/down or back and forth.

I would not recommend giving any medications until a veterinarian has examined him. In the meantime, you can try applying a cold compress to the top of the shoulder and neck area for a few minutes twice or three times per day. With acute injuries, especially for soft tissues (muscles, nerves), a cool compress can help reduce swelling and alleviate some of the pain. It would also be beneficial to restrict Grip from walking around or jumping up/down furniture as this could make his injury worse. Since you mentioned you would be able to get to a veterinarian tomorrow, Grip should be fine with some cool compresses, restricted activity, and some extra TLC until then. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Hello - just following up to see how your pup, Grip, is doing? Did you have a chance to take him by the vet?

Hello - how is Grip doing? Any further lameness or pain?

Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen, Dog Veterinarian