Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My vet administered a CereniaI injection and a Famotidine…

My vet administered a...

My vet administered a CereniaI injection and a Famotidine Injection to my dog on Wednesday. I gave her the pill form of each on Thursday. She has lost her appetitie and has explosive diarrhea I tried giving her chicken and rice and she has no interest. The vomiting has stoppped but I am concerned about the very frequent bouts of diarrhea. Do you have any suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No she did not eat anything unusual. She is 12 years old and stays in the home, going outside to do her business. And it was quite a mess:(

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

She does have severe arthritis although the vet did not want to start treatment for that until the vomiting was under control.

1/14/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. There are a couple of things you can safely try at home. You can try to add some fiber to her diet with either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin. You can also get an OTC kaolin/pectin anti-diarrhea formula from any pharmacy or someplace like Petsmart. If not looking better by tomorrow, I would see if your vet can prescribe some metronidazole. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
How long does it take for the injections to get out of her system?

To fully exit the system, it may take 2-3 days, but the efficacy of the medications usually lasts 24 hours. Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian