Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

His stomach is tight and he's very uncomfortable. He was…

His stomach is tight...

His stomach is tight and he's very uncomfortable. He was throwing up Friday but seemed fine yesterday then this this morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

10 year old Peke a Poo

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Peke eat anything unusual?

After he threw up everything on Friday I didn't want to give him anything hard to digest. In the past the vet has said baby food mixed with a little cooked rice so that's what I gave him yesterday.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Peke's name?

Sawyer

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sawyer?

In October he had a series of seizures. He is on 15 g of phenobarb twice a day and 1.2 mg of amlopodine a day

1/14/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How is his appetite just now?

What did the previous vomit look like?

When did he last pass urine and stool?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

You noted his stomach is tight, but when you press is he painful or uncomfortable?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

I haven't tried to feed him this morning but I do need to give him his meds soon. The previous vomit looked like the food he had eaten. I found 3 episodes of vomiting. He urinated about 20 minutes ago but I haven't seen stool today. His gums are pink and moist. When I press on his stomach (or pick him up) he grunts a bit. He also can't climb stairs or go up on his back legs. I don't think he ate anything harmful. No chemicals around or access to human meds. Plants haven't been touched. No bone lately.

Hello again,

First, I am glad to see harmful ingestions are less likely here. Still with this discomfort in that tense belly, I'd be concerned about a brewing gastritis or pancreatitis. And its not uncommon to see vomiting intermittently in low grade infections (bacterial or viral). As well, we could also have a degree of constipation as that too can make them tense and uncomfortable in the belly (and all of these could make him less than keen to walk on an incline since it puts more pressure on the abdomen).

Now with this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care. To start, we can try to counter any underlying nausea/GI upset with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any other medications you haven't other mentioned.

Afterwards, you can try Sawyer on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC cat hairball paste can be added to just make sure we keep his passing stool normal and can rule out constipation.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Since Sawyer isn't likely to have eaten something risky, we’d want to start the above supportive care now. But if he doesn't settle wth the above then we'd want a check up with his vet to look into these +/- scan his belly for any other distending factors (fluids, enlarged organs, masses, etc) to make sure there is nothing more we need to be addressing for him here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
DocPaul
Phone call session started
This message is for Dr. Brezelle. Sawyer is less bloated and not guarding as much. He's also jumped a bit but no bowel movement yet.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian