Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Bunny is 10 months old. Her appetite and behavior are

Bunny is 10 months old...
Bunny is 10 months old. Her appetite and behavior are normal. She's had diarrhea 3 days. Now it's just leaking out and she can't control it. No vomiting than I'm aware of but diarrhea smells like vomit. Ive given her Imodium daily. She's been on a diet of rice water, rice and chicken. I'm out of ideas.
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/14/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What color is the diarrhea? Any blood?

What does she weigh and how much Immodium did you give?

Is she fully vaccinated?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Diarrhea isokinf of orange. Gum are pale and sticky. She weighs around 50 lbs. Imodium 1 pill once or twice a day. She's up to date on shots. Abdomen appears soft and no discomfort. It is possible she could e ingested plants, bone or toy. No toys appear to be missing and no new plants. Also no blood in stooln

Hello again,

Now for her not to respond to your supportive care does suggest that this is more then benign GI upset. Instead, we'd be wary of a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, or parasites/protozoa infections. Therefore, what you have done thus far has been good but we do need to be more aggressive. First, the light diet is good but if there is any chance she is sensitive to chicken (as some dogs are) you could try instead using boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker, help her regain fecal control. and support digestion.

Furthermore, instead of the Imodium (since it only slows gut movement), we can try OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of probiotics added in. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI. And if you have not wormed Bunny in the past month, that too would be a base to cover (Fenbendazole/Panacur would be ideal as it will address worms and some protozoa too).

Overall, her continued signs tell us that we likely have an infectious cause for these signs. Therefore, we'd want to add in the above for Bunny. However, if these signs linger we need a stool sample tested to look for the above as we may need her vet to start antibiotics +/- anti-protozoals to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I have another dog am wondering, could this be contagious?

Hello again,

Its highly likely to be contagious but if the other dog is older they may be more immune resistant. Still separating them or at least keeping the other dog away from Bunny's stool would be ideal here.

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bunny. How is everything going?

Dr. B.