Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a Goldendoodle who is 3 yrs old. He acted like he…

We have a Goldendoodle...

We have a Goldendoodle who is 3 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Goldendoodle?

He acted like he had a small seizure but is acting normally now..should we go to emergency vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the Goldendoodle's name?

Bodie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bodie?

No he’s a heathy pup!

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/14/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Can you describe what you saw as a seizure?

No ore existing conditions. He was shaking n eyes glossy for 1 Min the up and playing
Sorry pre existing

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, what you are describing is consistent with a seizure. When a dog seizes there could be an underlying medical problem causing the seizure. Possible causes for seizures in dogs are an under active thyroid (hypothyroidism), kidney or liver disease, hypoglycemia, brain tumors, idiopathic (unknown), etc. to name a few causes. One of the most common cause for seizures in young dogs like Bodie is idiopathic epilepsy, meaning we do not know why the brain behaves in such manner but we can control the seizures with medications (phenobarbital or/and potassium bromide).

In this case, I would highly recommend a check up with the family veterinarian for a hands on examination and blood work as an initial screening test to rule out the above-mentioned diseases. If the seizures occur more than once a month medication should be started to stop or prevent the seizures. Observe him today, if he seizes again have him checked by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian