Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She's not eating or drinking...her nose is cold but her

She's not eating or...

She's not eating or drinking...her nose is cold but her activity level still high

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Bentley and she's 5 months she's a German shepherd

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bentley?

No ma'am

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/13/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. It is really good that her energy level is still high. Is there any chance that she could have gotten into anything? Have there been any recent diet changes or new treats? Anything else in the environment that could have changed?
How long has she not been eating or drinking? And finally, how is her stool? Is she having diarrhea etc?
She had an accident in her kennel last night...she wouldn't eat breakfast...her stool is dark and runny
I haven't been using was melts but started yesterday could that be what's making her sick
What are the melts? If nothing else has changed in her environment and no changes in food and treats, and no exposure to foreign objects, and she is otherwise feeling pretty good then there are a few things that I can suggest that you try it home before taking her in.
First I would recommend that you give her some Pepcid AC, famotidine. What is her weight? This is an acid reducer that can help with upset stomach and is very safe to use it is a human product that you can purchase at any grocery store or Pharmacy. As far as trying to get her to eat there a few little things that you can try. You can offer her a small amount of low sodium chicken broth and add some water. You can try to offer a small amount of rice or chicken breast. Please start with a very small amount as we do not want to cause stomach upset. If she happens to be sensitive to chicken then obviously don't give her that but you could probably still try a small amount of rice. I would hold off on any treats or high fat foods. Also monitor for any evidence of diarrhea. German Shepherd's are notorious for developing diarrhea very easily. If you provide me her weight I can give you the dose of original Metamucil. Not the flavor type. Is a great fiber source for pets with diarrhea and can work very well to help firm up the stool along with a bland diet.
She's 12 pounds
you can give a half a teaspoon of Metamucil twice a day. Just add it with her food. And you can give 2.5 milligrams of Pepcid AC. It usually comes in 10 mg tablets. If she is not getting better or energy level decreases then you will have to take her in for an exam and evaluation to make sure there's nothing more serious going on. You don't want her to go too long without eating and drinking and she will become very dehydrated.
If she's not eating you can add the Metamucil to the low sodium chicken broth or mix it with a little water and try to syringe it in her mouth.
Ok thank u very much
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I will check in with you tomorrow as well. If you are satisfied with my assistance a star rating is always appreciated and is how we experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week so keep me posted.
I apologize, I meant to say a 5-star rating is always appreciated. I hope things get better for you and like I said I will check in with you tomorrow.
Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Cynthia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole