Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

4 nights ago, our Italian greyhound seemed tp have

4 nights ago, our...

4 nights ago, our Italian greyhound seemed tp have difficulty jumping on the couch. The next morning she had tremors, unsteady gait, and very disoriented. Unfocused eyes. Vet did blood workup, nothing glaring. She has no obvious acute area of pain but she seems to have some pain in her neck with movement up and down at times, not constant. Palpation does not cause her pain. Normal stool until today when she had diarrhea, but we started her on rimadyl last night and tramadol. Today she had a seizure.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Moet is 1 1/2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Moet?

She is from a responsible breeder with extensive history of her lines.

1/13/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

She just had a second, longer seizure.

I am very sorry to hear about Moet's sudden turn for the worse with symptoms of difficulty jumping, tremors, unsteady gait, and disorientation. I understand that she has had two seizures today.

I understand her bloodwork was relatively unremarkable, and she has inconsistent pain with movement of her neck.

Did/does she have a fever (rectal temperature greater than 103F)?

It is possible that the Rimadyl caused her to have loose stools.

In a young dog of this breed with normal blood tests I would be highly suspicious of meningitis, particularly steroid responsive meningitis. This is an autoimmune disease (body attacks itself) that causes inflammation of the meningitis (tough fibrous covering of the brain and spinal cord).

I highly recommend that your pup see a neurologist on an emergency basis for a spinal tap to get a firm diagnosis and get started on treatment before permanent damage is done.

I know this is scary, but the sooner she gets help the better chance we have of controlling her disease.

There are other possible causes of her symptoms, and a neurologist can help figure out exactly what is going on, but meningitis seems very likely.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

She has not had a fever.

That is good news, but early on they may not run a fever or have a high white blood cell count.

She definitely has signs of central nervous system disease however, and it seems to be rapidly progressive. In a young dog meningitis seems most likely.

I highly recommend that she see a neurologist on an emergency basis.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Hi Dr. Kara,We are waiting to hear from her neurologist today, but as of last night she was doing well! On Saturday, she went to two different emergency vets, and Sunday we finally got her to a neurology team about four hours away from where we live. During that car ride, she had countless seizures and lost her sight. The MRI showed that she had swelling in her brain. The swelling was so significant that we could not do a spinal tap to look for infection, but the team believes she has ideopathic autoimmune encephalitis. They have treated her aggressively with a 48 hour continuous chemotherapy drug, medication for seizures, and her stomach since she also has bloody diarrhea. She showed some improvement the first day, but had a setback overnight. Yesterday morning, she was basically sedated with medication for the seizures, but she ate and by the afternoon was trying to walk and had sight back in at least one eye. We are hopeful that she has turned that corner, and is on her way to recovery! Thank you for your advice and concern about our sweet girl!

Thank you so much for updating me on your girl, what a very rough time you and she have had!

That diagnosis absolutely makes sense, and her response to the medications prescribed make it even more likely that is what is going on. I am crossing my fingers that things continue to go well for her, please keep me updated on how she does, thanks, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian