Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He got into 3-4 small chicken wing bones in the trash and…

He got into 3-4...

He got into 3-4 small chicken wing bones in the trash and ate them

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Diesel age 10. He belonged to someone else up till just before Thanksgiving when his original owner died. He's never done this in the months I've had him. He's not showing any discomfort, actually he's looking quite pleased with himself.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Diesel?

No. I haven't given him his regular dinner yet, this just happened a few minutes ago, but a lot of the web sites say to feed them so the bones aren't the only thing in their stomach.

1/13/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Ok I'll wait
No I don't want to talk on the phone. This is starting to sound like a scam

I’m sorry to hear that your fellow Diesel ate 3-4 chicken wing bones.
While I understand that getting those bones out would be nice I do not recommend inducing vomiting in cases where dogs eat sharp objects like bones. The chances of tearing his esophagus or stomach as it contracts to force the bones out is much too high. I hope he at least chewed a little before he swallowed these as that will make passage a little easier.
In this case we need to try and hope that we can get the bones to pass through his gastrointestinal tract. And that his stomach acid helps us by dissolving the fragments.
To help I recommend starting with a Vaseline (or any nonscented, generic petroleum jelly) sandwich. Take a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with a second slice. Feed it to him piece by piece or he will make a huge Vaseline mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the bones pieces slip rather than catch.
For the next few days, until the bones pass, he'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the bone pieces are surrounded, the gut isn't irritated contracting on just bone.
A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber.
You'll need to check his stools frequently for bone pieces in the next few days. Chicken bones can be broken down quite small, so his stools may just feel gritty.

Signs that things aren't going well, and he needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy.
If you aren't seeing bone fragments in the next day or two a veterinary visit and an abdominal radiograph to see where the bones are an option. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have him checked.
Once the pieces are passed and he's feeling well then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get him converted back to regular food.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Sorry about the offer of a phone call. That is an automatic, site generated offer that many licensed veterinarians are unable to fulfill. Many states/province licensing boards do not allow veterinarians to communicate via phone calls, unless they have previously physically examined a pet. The states and Province I am licensed in have that restriction. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like you can reply and ask any follow-up questions regarding my response and I will be happy to respond to them here.

Thanks, I'll give him a small portion of food and see what happens.

You are very welcome.

I would at least recommend increasing fiber in his diet to cushion the bone pieces as they move through his gastrointestinal tract.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
ok