Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My two golden retrievers ingested a container of Glandex…

Hi. My two golden...

Hi. My two golden retrievers ingested a container of Glandex that was mostly full. I dont know which dog got more or if this is an emergency.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Golden Retriever will be able to digest that. What is the Golden Retriever's name and age?

Leo is 5. Tyson is 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leo?

No. They are healthy. But Tyson has anal hlanf issues that we were trying to treat with the product. Dose is 3 pills. Together they ate 50

1/13/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

Thx. Glandex is the product name. It's mostly peanut butter, fiber, and probiotics. But they ate so many, I don't know if it will cause problems.

I have the ingredient list here at hand, how long ago might this have happened though ...

Within 2hours.

Got it thanks, ***** ***** out your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The situation is that this product { Glandex } is really more of a food supplement than a drug of any kind and so will an exceptionally high margin of safety in the dog, in fact, there should be no danger of actual toxicity even if a dog ate quite a few as in your dogs case today. That said they may perhaps suffer a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea, but should this occur it will not be likely to be too serious and in any case should soon pass on its own.

2. Given the above, your best plan is to just monitor them for now. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if either of your dog's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you.

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian