Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our Golden, spayed 2 yr old female, scratches under her chin…

Our Golden, spayed 2 yr...
Our Golden, spayed 2 yr old female, scratches under her chin 3-4 times daily for 50 or so times, chews on paws (at night), but does not during the night. She does not do it a lot during the day. We do not see any hot spots (raw, oozy), or red rashy skin. Just cannot figure out if she really has an irritation/allergy that needs special treatment or is just being a dog. She does not seem miserable. Any simple treatment such as an additive, or OTC herbal, or other product we could try?
1/13/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry to hear your dog is itching so much at night. This is a great question, is it allergies or simply behavioral at this point? We can try a few things to see if it helps and as long as there is no red skin there is no harm trying some home remedies but if that changes I would advise a veterinary exam. Typically contact allergies are going to be axillary/ groin, feet and not the bottom of the chin. I would ensure you are using a stainless steel or glass food/ water bowl to minimize the bowl causing the chin allergy

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours for itch. It may cause mild sedation initially
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo three times weekly for the chin and feet to control the itch with ten minutes contact time before rinsing. This will help to soothe the skin and if there is a contact allergy it will rinse away the allergen
- Begin a fish oil supplement with 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily. This will help skin and coat health but can take 2-4 weeks to take full effect
- Ensure you are feeding a high quality diet with no by products which can cause itchiness in some dogs. I definitely see more itching/ irritation on dogs being fed purina/ pedigree diet
- I would not advise a topical ointment/ cream which is likely going to be ingested and often can increase moisture and therefore irritation in the long run
- If this is happening at a certain time of night, try redirecting with either a toy or obedience/ a leash walk 15 + minutes during this period so that the brain is worked in another way. If this is behavioral this should help reduce the episodes

I hope this information makes sense and gives you a starting point for how to control her symptoms. Please let me know how else I can assist you both this evening

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

We do feed her Purina One (Chicken and Rice) and Pedigree canned meat (variety of chicken, beef, etc.) She loves the food, but.......if causing problems, we can try something else. What other choices do you recommend? She drinks and eats out of ss bowls. We have two other dogs, who don't seem to be itchy. We have fed same food as above over many years and have not had one who was itchy. Thoughts? Also, where do we get the fish oil EPA and DHA? Liquid or caps?
I will rate you as soon as you answer the questions of my last entry. Appreciate it.

I am sorry for the delay, I was out of town for the weekend

- I don't know why certain dogs have a sensitivity to the Pedigree more than the other dogs but it can be as people have certain sensitivities as well. I just know I see this more in dogs on this food for some bizarre reason
- Foods that I prefer include Prairie formula (not grain free variation of this food but the prairie) or Wellness Brand
- You can use a human fish oil supplement, I prefer the welactin and this is a product you can get over the counter at amazon.com and some pet stores also carry it. It is concentrated and formulated for dogs

Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with. Best wishes to you both and again I apologize for the delay

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Are Prairie and Wellness brand easy to find> Who carries them? Is there a different brand name of these two? Will rate now, but would like your answers to above. Thanks.

Yes they are both available at your local petsmart but also online at sites like amazon. I like to order from online because the cost is comparable and I don't have to lug a bag of food home from the store!

Wellness: https://www.amazon.com/Wellness-Complete-Natural-Food-30-Pound/dp/B001BORBHO/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1516064800&sr=1-4&keywords=wellness+dog+food

Prairie: https://www.amazon.com/Prairie-Chicken-Natural-Natures-Variety/dp/B00COIAWFO/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1516064843&sr=1-3&keywords=prairie+dog+food

They are a little more pricey but you are able to feed less without the byproducts so it does even out at the end of the month

Hi James,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian