Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Miniature schnauzer has been trying to dig he’s turn my…

My Miniature schnauzer has...

My Miniature schnauzer has been trying to dig he’s turn my rug up

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your miniature schnauzer?

He’s panting really hard and he’s trying to dig my rug up my carpeting Sometimes he shakes

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the miniature schnauzer's name and age?

Sometimes he shakes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your miniature schnauzer?

His name is ***** *****’s a rescue dog I don’t know the exact age I would guess 10 years old

1/12/2018
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Is the rub new?

Have you tried washing the rug?

Is there any other animals in the household?

Have you tried moving the rug?

This may be a scent issue where he smells something good and is trying to get to it by digging (hence the washing may help)

If there are other animals in your household they may have scent marked the rub ( in which washing will help)

He may have an affinity for the area under the rug and is trying to get to that area in which moving the rug will help resolve the symptoms.

No he’s turn up a carpet not just A rug it’s carpeting he’s panting really hard and shaky sometimes right now he’s just laying in the corner spot

Do you have carpet cleaner? I would first either steam clean the rug or get a carpet cleaner and do a deep cleaning to remove any scents that he may be picking up on.

How old is your dog?

I'm asking how old he is because sometimes older dogs can develop weird cognitive behaviors related to cognitive dysfunction.

I would guess he’s about 10 he’s a rescue Doc they don’t know how old is is there something I can give him I gave them to dog aspirins
I’m talking into the phone and sometimes it doesn’t type what I say but I think you get the gist of it is not panning as bad as he was he’s laying in the spot that he’s been digging in and he’s breathing a little bit heavy I have some dog sedative I can give them when there’s a storm they shake

I do not think he is in pain so canine aspirin may not do anything.

If this is cognitive dysfunction you can start him on Bright minds diet from Purina and add in a supplement called Senilife that will help with brain function if this is related to that.

There are some good over the counter holistic calming supplements we can also try

There is a collar called Adaptil which you can buy from Petsmart that exudes canine calming pheromones or you can buy this online at amazon.com

There is also a supplement called Zylkene I really like for anxiety conditions which you can also buy from amazon.com

Some of my clients like the treat form of Composure ( calming canine treat) which is fairly inexpensive form amazon.com

I would clean the carpet as best you can to account if he is smelling any strange smells he is really into to.

Next, do the calming supplements and the collar and give it a week or so to see if it helps.

If that fails that we may need to check some lab work and make sure no organ dysfunction is occurring that may be changing the way he reacts to certain stimuli.

He Musta ate something because he’s beaten the brand dog food it’s five star dog food for years but he got out and was running around I’m I’m in New Mexico I don’t know if he ate some kind a plant or what but he did a big poop that was green I made a big poop any poop before that too earlier in the morning he’s not throwing up that I know of he doesn’t have diarrhea

That is good means whatever this is is not affecting his gastrointestinal tract

If he did get into a toxin that could be affecting his mentality and may be out of his system is a few hours or by tomorrow.

Blood work would still be something to consider because if he did eat something we will often see liver changes.

He seems to be breathing a little better now it’s not panting also he would need

Are his gums pink or pale?

He would not eat his treats that’s not like him he never turn down food he’s a food hard
The problem is getting a vet I got to drive 200 miles if he doesn’t get better by tomorrow I’ll go take him he seems to be getting better I’ve

Do you have any antacids ( pepsid or prilosec) at home? We can try that to get him feeling better

I don’t think so I can’t look at them now because he’s finally sleeping but I didn’t notice anything regular his tongue look normal

If his tongue had normal color that is a good sign

Do you have any over the counter antacids at home? We can try and see if this helps him feel better.

Yeah I’ve got some of those I don’t know if he’ll take it but I don’t think I should wake him up now should I he’s finally calm down so they wait till he gets up and then give It to him

What do you have and how much does he weigh so I can get you a dose for him and yes you can wait until he wakes up.

I’d say he weighs Between 30 and 35 pounds he’s a mail is real muscular he’s not real fat

And the medication you have at home?

It’s Walmarts brand and asked at each tablet has 1000 MG calcium carbonate

Calcium carbonate is not commonly used as an antacid in small animals. Pepsid or Prilosec would be better but you can try 1/4 tablet every 12 hours and see how he does for 24 hours.

1/4 of the calcium carbonate

As long as he is not struggling to breathe and is not vomiting then you can monitor him overnight and he may be much better tomorrow morning. Let me know how he does.

I hope this helps guide you on how to proceed. Good luck with your pup. At 15 years of age, I am sure you two have quite a bond. I will hope for the best.

Good luck.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

it’s been helpful he just got up he’s not shaking he ate a cookie and he drank some water please not panting a lot and he’s breathing normal I think I don’t know what it was but I think the Lord answered my prayer and you helped thank you be safe and have a great weekend

To you as well.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian