Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chow has some kind of tissue in the corner of his eye.

My chow has some...

My chow has some kind of tissue in the corner of his eye

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

Last week I notice that their was some kind of tissue growing in the corner of his eye toward the center of his eye

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

Nowhere

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Yes i told you he has some kind of mass growing in the coener of his eye

Veterinarian's Assistant: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Grizzy Bear he 5 years old and weighs 75

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Grizzy Bear

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Yes both eye lids have rolled in toward the eye i no this is cocomon with chow he has had this since he was a pup

1/12/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is he rubbing at the eye?

Any redness or swelling associated with the eye?

Any discharge from the eye?

Is it possible for you to take a picture of the eye and post it or attach it to your next message?

i cant take a picture right now grizzy is with his daddy taken a ride no he doesnt rub it but yes it has discharge
no this is fine no camer on this desk top

Thanks. I do have a couple more questions. Is it coming from the inner corner of the eye? Is there a mass growing from this tissue, or are you describing the flat tissue as a mass itself?

the flat tissue it wasn't there a week ago but it seem to be getting bigger

Thanks for the information. So, the tissue you are seeing is normal. It is called the third eyelid, or nictating membrane. With many dogs, you can see a small part of it when you look closely. If you start to see more and more of it, that usually means the eye is bothering them. It could be a corneal ulcer, an infection, allergic conjunctivitis or sometimes a neurologic problem. With the discharge from the eye, the first thing I would do is have your vet stain the eye to look for an ulcer on the cornea. If that is negative, then they may need to run some other testing but may still try an antibiotic/steroid ointment in the eye first. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian