Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 5.5 dog recently dx with a stomach mass. After giving her…

My 5.5 dog recently...

My 5.5 dog recently dx with a stomach mass. After giving her anesthesia for surgery she started breathing very fast and heavily. So he took chest X-rays and said there were modules in her chest and X-ray showed white also which means she has cancer and it has spread. So no need to do surgery. My thing is, yes appetite has decreased but is still eating and drinking, but she’s not coughing or throwing up or diah.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Ave cancer? Should I get second opinion?

1/12/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your girl. Can you tell me her name? One of the simplest things you could do to get a second opinion is to ask for a copy of her x-rays to have another vet view them. I'll be very honest and say that chest metastasis lesions are pretty hard to mistake for other things. If there are lesions throughout the chest / lungs that indicate the spread of cancer, then a surgery for the mass in the stomach is most likely trivial. It is good that she's still eating and drinking and not having any vomiting. This would indicate to me that her quality of life is still good and that she is enjoying life at this time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Her name is***** you, guess I was just hoping maybe the vet was wrong. I believe he said the mass in her stomach is like 8 cm. I do have meds he gave me for her. I just dont see putting her down until I know she just can’t go anymore.

That is a beautiful name. I wish I could say that chest metastatic lesions were hard to diagnose, but when they are there, they are usually pretty definitive. You could still ask to have the films reviewed by another vet. As far as her quality of life right now, it isn't where I'd recommend letting her go. As long as she's social, comfortable, breathing normally, eating and drinking - then she is getting out of life what she should.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is breathing a lil fast, I’m assuming it’s from the mass in her stomach. She has a hard time to sit upright. I am feeding her rotisserie ckn, and agiain it’s not a whole lot like she use to eat. And she will eat like 2-3 times a day. But I do have nausea med, pain med and anti-inflammatory med.
She will still bark here and there, not as playful anymore, but she can still walk. But hopefully we will have her for another month.

It sounds like you're helping as best as you can to make her days as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. How much time does she have left? I tell owners to enjoy each and every day by making it as special as you can for her and yourself. You will know when the time is right to let her be at peace. It is never the easy decision to make, but she's been a good friend and it is the last gift you can give them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You’re right.. she is a special friend.
Thank you for your time and answers.

I wish I could do more for Lacie and yourself. Give her a little belly rub and ear scratching for me since I can't. Take care.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian