Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a maltese about 6 months old. He has started throwing…

Hi good morning, I...

Hi good morning, I have a maltese about 6 months old. He has started throwing up the yellow bile stuff for the last ew mornings. Otherwise he seems fine and happy though still eating but not as well as before. I feed him 2 times a day usually but yesterday I just left the food out for him all day. He didn't eat a lot though did eat generally, still this morning early when he first wakes, he threw up 2 x alot of bile.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No not that I know..

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Mojo he was hacking though for a few days before only morning but didn't throw up

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No seems fine and healthy otherwise

1/12/2018
Chelsea Schwarb

Hello. My name is*****'m sorry to hear that Mojo is not feeling well. It is possible Mojo has gastric reflux. You could try giving him Famotidine (Pepcid AC) 1/4 tablet by mouth every 12 hours to see if this decreases stomach acid production.

If he continues to vomit bile after a few days of trying the Famotidine, then blood work is necessary to evaluate his internal organ function. This can be done with you local vet.

This website has some good information on gastroesophageal reflux in dogs -
https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2014/12/28/gastroesophageal-reflux-disease.aspx

Do you have any additional questions or concerns?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is there anything else I can do besides the medicine, as would rather not start with that unless I have to. On the feeding or anything that I can do different

You could try feeding small frequent meals of a low-fat GI food. Such as Royal Canin GI low fat. The famotidine is very safe medication and I think it could help if he does actually have reflux.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. If you are not seeing any improvement in the vomiting, then Mojo really should be seen by his vet.
If you are satisfied with my help, then I would appreciate if you could hit accept and leave me a review. Thank you very much and I hope Mojo feels better soon!

Hello. I am checking in to see if Mojo vomited again today?

Chelsea Schwarb
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good morning, no he hasn't. I did get the medication you suggested and gave him 1/4 yesterday. Thank you. What is the next step though as if I don't give the medication will it start again. I will look for the food you suggested and try that. I hope its not a long lasting problem. Thank you for your help. Any other suggestions?

I am happy that he hasn't vomited today. If it is reflux, then he may grow out of it over time. Besides the Famotidine, a lot of these puppies will also show improvement with small frequent feedings. Trying to prevent the stomach from being completely empty for too many hours on end so the stomach acid doesn't build up. If none of that is helping, then routine blood work to make sure everything looks okay. There are stronger medications for reflux if the Famotidine is not working or stops working over time. You would just need a vet prescription for those medications if it becomes necessary to try.

Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb