Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog spent most of the day playing outside, and I just…

Our dog spent most...

Our dog spent most of the day playing outside, and I just noticed a bump on her nose that is under the skin and feels like fluid.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Sadie and she is 5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?

When I touch the lump on her nose she pulls away and sometimes she will sneeze when we push on it.

1/12/2018
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Can you take a picture of what you are seeing at a couple different angles and send it to me here so i can see what we are dealing with?

Give me a minute.

Sounds good

OK let me download them one moment

Ok, it looks like she may have been stung by an insect or knocked her nose hard enough to form something called a seroma under the skin ( think blood blister).

Do you have any Benadryl at home?

If so how much does she weigh so I can get you a dose for her and we can see if this is better in the morning?

If it is an insect bite the swelling should be better in the morning.

we have benadryl here & she is 55lbs.
Give her 75 mg now and then another 50 mg in the morning. If it is not better by tomorrow around 10 then we may need to get her seen to make sure she is not developing an abscess and in need of having it lanced and starting her on antibiotics

You can also see if she will allow you to ice pack it for a few minutes tonight to try and speed resolution.

Good luck with Sadie let me know how she does.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Thank you!

You are most welcome!

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Meghan Denney
We gave her the Benadryl like you said and the swelling went down & the bump is now completely gone. Thanks for your help.

You are so welcome glad to hear this!

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian