Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He's licking an biting the back of his back area, and it's…

He's licking an biting...

He's licking an biting the back of his back area, and it's starting to bleed. I saw red an dabbed it and it's blood. I don't know what I can do for him until I can get him to a vet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Jasper, he's 6 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jasper?

No not really

1/11/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Where exactly is he licking, his butt?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In the middle of his back and no other symptoms that we've noticed

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you

Friend, it sounds like Jasper has a localized infection or what we commonly call a hot spot. This is what you can do until he is seen by your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination:

1- Need to stop him from licking or is going to delay healing. Pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok great, thanks that was most helpful but may I ask 1 more question? If I can't get a cone tonight, could I just keep his sweater shirt on HIM? That's what I have on HIM now to stop him from licking it.

Of course, you can ask me all you want, this is why I am here.

Yes, for tonight you can have him wear a t-shirt or sweater; great idea!

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok wonderful, this was a great experience, I appreciate your help,have a good night. Thanks

I am glad I was here to help. :)

I will be back on tomorrow after 9 a.m. if you have any additional questions.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian