Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is having a nose bleed but it is continuing and he leaves…

He is having a...

He is having a nose bleed but it is continuing and he leaves blood where he lays down.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Chance age 10 or 11 but his problem is bleeding

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Chance?

10 or 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chance?

I'm just wondering whether to take him in to the emergency vet call

1/11/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

My main concern is that he not bleed to death before we can get him to his appointment at 10:30 tomorrow.
I just want to know if this is an emergency and I should call for an emergency visit or if it isn't as bad as it seems and he will be ok until morning.

I am sorry to hear that Chance has a bloody nose tonight.

Has this ever happened before?

Has there been any change in the shape/conformation of his nose?

How is he feeling in general?

Has he been sneezing a lot lately?

Does he have foul breath, rotten teeth or severe gum disease?

Any possible exposure to anticoagulant rodenticides?

Are ticks an issue where you live?

Nose bleeds in dogs are more commonly related to infections (fungal or bacterial), a foreign body in the nose, a clotting disorder, an infected tooth root irritating the sinuses or nasal cavity or a mass of some kind in the nose.

So if his nosebleed continues then a veterinary visit to look into her nasal cavity with a scope and maybe some radiographs of his nose/sinuses as well as a thorough dental exam are indicated.

If the bleeding is a small amount (drips rather than a steady stream) and his gum color is a nice bubblegum pink there are a few things we can try at home.

First try to settle him down. Excited dogs have high blood pressure which worsens bleeding.

Cold packs applied to the outside of his nose/muzzle can decrease blood flow and allow a clot to form which should slow/stop the bleeding.

But if his gums are pale and his bleeding is steady despite these measures then emergency is best.
Let me know if you have any further questions.

All right. Thank you.

You are very welcome.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian