Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She got into the food bag and her stomach seems big and a…

She got into the...

She got into the food bag and her stomach seems big and a little firm.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Halley, 6.5 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Halley?

She has had bloat before when she ate what the vet said was an entire bag of dog food, but she is not nearly that bad right now. she does not seem lethargic. she is very thirsty

1/11/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Thank you for your question about Halley. My name is***** What breed is she? Is she acting distressed?
She is a mutt, we are not sure what she is, we think maybe half Pitbull and half Whippet. She is not acting distressed
That is good that she is not distressed. With food ingestions like this, most just digest the food and have it pass. They may be a little uncomfortable for a period of time as the digestion happens. What is to be watched for as a critical sign is retching and not getting anything up or looking really bloated and uncomfortable. This would be worrisome for a stoamach twist. If these happen, it is mphas a good chance of being a crirtical emergency. If she is resting and not distressed, then Time is most likely what is needed. She can have some water to drink but not excess.
Should we walk her during the night? Would you suggest any physical activity or just let her rest?
She has already pooped twice since eating the food, less than 2 hours ago.
That is good that she’s had these stool movements. I wouldn’t want to see retching / attempting to vomit and not having anything produced as that again is the big red flag. If she’s comfortable, resting and not doing that - then it isn’t a bad situation.
Thank you for your help!
I see food over ingestions at my ER pretty frequently and almost all digest the food and pass it. A very few have the stomach twist.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian